Monday, July 29, 2013

Vitamin D via Washington Square

Jumping into the fountain at Washington Square Park is one of the items on my NYC Bucket List. I've yet to cross this task off of my list, however, always blaming my hesitation on the wrong dress, or the wrong shoes. (The truth is, I'm actually scared of all of the children running around inside the fountain. They show no mercy when it comes to splashing!)


Luckily, Washington Square is good for much more than simply taking a dip in the fountain. Spanning Macdougal to Fifth Avenue, and West 4th to to Waverly Pl, this park is home to dancers, musicians, magicians, and chess players alike.

There are plenty of benches in the sun and shade for the taking, as well as open grass (though I'd suggest bringing a blanket, as the grass can be kind of muddy). It's a great place to bring a book, but there's also much to see and to hear. Take Colin Huggins, for example, also known as "the crazy piano guy". Each morning Colin Huggins wheels (or perhaps has a friend wheel, I've never asked) a grand piano into the park, and spends the day playing for visitors. I highly recommend stopping by for a listen if you get the chance. You can also usually find one or two jazz bands performing throughout the day, and sometimes solo drummers as well.

There are a few dance groups that I've seen performing in the park, including a group that executes some pretty amazing acrobatic stunts (check out this photo from Humans of New York of one of these performers). I've seen a few mimes and some very advanced jugglers (although to me, all juggling seems advanced). There have also been yoga classes, parades, and music festivals, and I'm quite sure that I saw someone on a pogo stick the other day.

The northwest corner of the park is always home to expert chess players, waiting for you to join them in a match. I'll let you know that they are extremely familiar with winning. They do, after all, play chess all day, and they are very good at betting you out of your money. Don't say I didn't warn you.

Washington Square is much, much smaller than Central Park, so it boasts a very different vibe. While you can find isolated spots in Central Park to nap or picnic, Washington Square is less private and a little more urban. While school is in session the park is bustling with NYU students, as well as lots and lots of dog walkers. If you are a dog owner yourself, there is a fenced in area where dogs can run loose and, ahem, take care of their business.
The park is also beautiful in the snow!

What this park is great for:

  • children
  • picnics
  • listening to live music
  • reading
  • sunbathing
  • people watching
  • (getting beaten at) chess


What this park is not great for:

  • going for a run
  • total peace and quiet
  • escaping into the wilderness
  • biking
  • hanging out alone in the wee hours of the morning (unless you know karate, in which case, go for it.)

P.S. The park is free! It's a great spot to bring your friends, so you can feel free to skip out on the expensive dinners without sacrificing your social life. 

2 comments:

  1. One of my favorite parks in NYC!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. It is one of the best parks. Every time I go there I think about that movie: When Harry Met Sally. Great scene to new beginnings in NYC.

    ReplyDelete