Tuesday, July 2, 2013

A Very Heated Game of Trivial Pursuit

I've always had a thing for board games. Ever since I can remember, family gatherings at my grandmother's have consisted of eating, arguing about (or avoiding the subject of) politics, and competitive board gaming. My friends from high school were also notoriously serious about board games. You'd be surprised how much debate can occur throughout a game of Scattegories...

Needless to say, board games hold a special place in my heart. Thus, I was thrilled to discover that Molly's Cupcakes, a nearby bakery, boasts a shelf full of games for customers to use. For the price of a cupcake, cappuchino, or cup of tea, you can spend the afternoon playing Scrabble, Pictionary, and more.

Looking for some evening entertainment that was cheaper than the price of a nighttime movie, my roommate and I headed to Molly's. We arrived at 6:45 and left at closing (10pm), cursing ourselves for being unable to complete a game of Trivial Pursuit.

Did you know that the Yankees used to be called the Highlanders? Or that Bob Dylan was once considered a security threat because he accidentally left his ID on a tour bus? These questions cost me two pie pieces, and I don't think I'll ever forget the answers.

I spent about $4.00 (with tax) on a flourless chocolate cupcake which, though a little too rich for my taste, was not a bad price to pay for three hours worth of entertainment. I think next time I'll probably stick to a cup of tea, although my roommate thoroughly enjoyed her Oreo-topped cupcake.

Molly's is located at 228 Bleecker Street, right near 6th avenue. The atmosphere is fun and the workers were friendly; they were kind enough not to give us a hard time for trying in vain to finish our game one minute before closing.

I highly recommend stopping by Molly's if you're looking for an inexpensive way to spend a few hours with friends. Grabbing dinner and drinks doesn't make for a bad time, but never underestimate the power of some good old-fashioned board gaming.

3 comments:

  1. That sounds like so much fun! Where there other New Yorkers engaged in board games as well. It sounds like a fun way to meet new people too. I want to come play!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I think it would be a great way to meet people! The couple next to us was playing Jenga (a block definitely fell in one of their cupcakes) and on the other side there was a Scrabble game going. Next time I'll see if I can find others to join in our game :)

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a great find. Board games and meeting new people help bring us all together.

    ReplyDelete