Wednesday, July 3, 2013

A Little Light Reading

These days lots of newspapers, magazine articles, and general journal writings can be accessed online for free. For the nostalgic New Yorker who still prefers paper over screen, however, the city's got you covered.

Take a look around and you're bound to find one of the city's many newsstands that boast free news sources. I'm referring to those mailbox-like containers that we often pass by, that are filled with free access to writer's workshops, restaurant guides, and crosswords galore.

These are only some of the free publications available at a news hub by my apartment. I went to grab more but a nearby NYPD officer was starting to give me funny looks...
 These publications span across many genres, and hopefully have something to offer to everyone. Let's take a closer look at a few of these reading materials.

The Village Voice: Below is an excerpt from the Voice's website, describing the publication:
 [T]he Voice has earned a reputation for its groundbreaking investigations of New York City politics, and as the premier expert on New York's cultural scene. Writing and reporting on local and national politics, with opinionated arts, culture, music, dance, film and theater reviews, daily web dispatches and comprehensive entertainment listings, the Voice is the authoritative source on all that New York has to offer.
The Voice has a great section towards the end of each issue listing events happening in the city (music concerts, club events, movie listings, etc.) The issue I picked up features a restaurant guide that I will definitely be investigating (and reporting back with any good deals), as well as reviews of the movies Despicable Me and The Lone Ranger.

Metro: To be honest I've always been turned off by the Metro, simply because I cannot escape someone shoving the paper in my face as I attempt to enter the subway station for my morning commute. Do not, however, allow my content-unrelated bias to sway your own opinion of the paper! Check out its website to see what the newspaper has to offer. My roommate and I have some serious plans to tackle this issue's crossword puzzle.

Chopsticks NY: Now this was a publication that I had not heard of. "Experience Japan in New York City" is what the cover of the issue reads, and it does certainly seem to be the source for all things Japanese. The July issue features a list of recommended Japanese restaurants, an interview with the founder of a Japanese vegetable farm, and a Japanese-Style Tomato Salsa recipe. Check out the website if this is something you'd be interested in.

Other free publications include amNewYorkManhattan Family (maybe not so applicable for the average college student), Gay City News and more.

It was fun to sit down and flip through these different publications. If I were to go back again I'd probably only pick up the Village Voice, but spending a few hours expanding my horizons (who knew that making a hole in a pacifier can help end your baby's pacifier phase) lead to some pretty entertaining discoveries. If anything, these newsstands are a good place to stop by if you have a long subway ride to undergo, and you've accidentally left your copy of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone at home (it happens to the best of us).


5 comments:

  1. Thank you for breaking down all the local NYC papers. There are so many of them at every corner. I love the Metro because of its Sudoku puzzles. I used to do them before school every day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to try out the Sudoku puzzles! After trying all of the crosswords I've determined that amNewYork is by far the easiest, so if you want to feel satisfied with yourself definitely do that one ;)

      Delete
  2. I love The Village Voice! Your information is very helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I personally am not a fan of these papers but they do have good information.

    ReplyDelete