Friday, July 12, 2013

Put Down the Candy Bar, the Packet of Gum, and the Copy of US Weekly

Even the most dedicated of Penny-Pinchers can find themselves succumbing to the magnetic pull of impulse purchases. The magazine shelves by the check-out line in Whole Foods? A problem. The chocolate on display right before the registers in Trader Joe's? A bigger problem. Let's not even mention those sale items that seem to come home with you after a day of 'window shopping'...

I recently stumbled upon a blog post by Meg Favreau, a senior editor and blogger for the website wisebread.com, about resisting these impulse purchases.

In her post 9 Simple Ways to Stop Impulse Buying, Favreau points out the reasons why these spur-of-the-moment purchases are so tempting, and how to best avoid them. I have listed her nine tips below.

  1. "Follow the Time Rule" 
  2. "Don't Shop When Upset"
  3. "Consider Changing How and Where You Shop"
  4. "Don't Shop With the Wrong People"
  5. "Give Yourself a Splurge Budget"
  6. "Only Buy Things You Can Return"
  7. "Remember to Not Be Fooled by Sales"
  8. "Keep a List of Things You Really Want or Need"
  9. "Don't Give Yourself Access to Your Money"
Favreau goes into more detail about each tip on her post, but I'll discuss a few that I like to keep in mind. For starters, I've found that the "Time Rule" really affects whether or not I buy those shoes that 'would go so great with that one dress'. The idea behind this rule is that you set a minimum time frame for yourself between when you decide you like the item, and when you decide to buy the item. If I am still obsessing over those shoes a week or two later, then I'll go back and take a second look. Usually when I wait to buy something, though, I end up realizing that I don't want or need that item after all. 

"Remember to Not Be Fooled by Sales" is another important one for me. Sales are a tempting time to buy something that you don't need, simply because it's on sale. Favreau distinguishes between things that you've always wanted (that finally go on sale) and things that you think you could find useful (because they're on sale). Stay away from the latter! Sales are an opportunity for us to get what we need for cheaper, not a chance to be tricked into spending more money. 

"Don't Give Yourself Access to Your Money" is the ninth tip, in which Favreau suggests leaving your credit cards at home, or keeping only a small amount of cash in your wallet. If you don't have money with you, it's pretty much guaranteed that you won't spend it. I know that I spend far less money when I take out cash at the beginning of each week, and allow myself to only spend as much as I have in my wallet. I prefer to pay with cash because I can see exactly how much money I have, and I can feel (literally) when my wallet's been emptied. If I plan to spend the day window shopping, then I bring nothing more than seven dollars (for a subway card, just in case). 

Wise Bread is a great resource for readers trying to get the most out of a tiny budget. The site's  'Frugal Living' section offers countless articles about managing your income, cooking cheaper recipes, clothing deals, etc. Various writers contribute to the blog, making the site a self-described "community of bloggers here to hep you live large on a small budget." Wise Bread does not revolve around a particular city, but instead provides general information for Penny-Pinchers nationwide. For those of you looking for specific NYC deals, that's what I'm here for. 

Don't worry, I've got your back. 

2 comments:

  1. The sale items always get me! Thanks for the tips!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Catchy Title. The temptations at check out are horrible. I do find myself buying items that are on sale. It is less expensive. However, these days I buy what is needed not what is wanted. Thanks for the tips.

    ReplyDelete