Wednesday, July 31, 2013

A Morning at the Hudson River

Monday morning 8 am. Wake up to the sound of a power drill in the hallway. Remind myself that it's my day off, and that I should just ignore the noises and go back to bed.
8:01 Get out of bed. Decide that listening to power drills is my personal hell on earth. Must leave immediately.
8:15 Teeth brushed, face washed, contacts inserted. Remember that I haven't done laundry in at least two weeks. Manage to find a pair of bright pink gym shorts bought in my last year of middle school. Scold myself for having no choice but to wear these shorts in public. Secretly applaud myself for not spending money on new gym shorts.
8:20 Out the door and debating where to go. Can't spend money. Wearing gym shorts.
8:25 Start walking towards Christopher Street. Head west on Christopher towards the Hudson. Visiting Hudson River Park is free, and peaceful in the mornings. Peek into a few store windows along the way. Linger outside of a restaurant that smells like coffee. Cross West St and narrowly avoid colliding with a bike.


8:35 Reach Hudson. Inhale, exhale. Begin walking south.
8:55 Start to feel inspired, because everyone around me is running. Decide I'll start running too.
9:02 Bad idea. Remember why I don't like running. Determine that walking is equally inspiring.
9:05 Pass by a couple playing tennis in one of the courts. Pass by some dogs running around in a fenced off area. Pass by benches occupied by readers, meditators, and quite a few nappers.
9:15 Try not to look alarmed as I pass by a man who seems to have lost his pants. Note that New York has probably given me a pretty killer poker face.
9:20 Pause by a grassy area and sit down in the shade. Look over at One World Trade Center. Take a moment to imagine how high up those workers must have been when they attached the building's spire. Decide that the Top of the Rock is the highest up that I'd ever like to be, besides airplanes of course.
9:40 Can no longer ignore my stomach's vocal demands for nourishment. Decide to head back.
10:00 Realize I have 35 cents in my pocket. Enough for a $0.25 banana from the food cart by the subway.
10:30 Arrive home, banana in tow, thoroughly ready for some Penny-Pincher's Morning Oatmeal. Thankful for the close proximity of a calm place to walk, a magnificent view, and a budget-friendly place to go when escaping from indoor construction.
10:40 The power drill noises recommence.



2 comments:

  1. Great post. Beautiful photo. It's funny how a few hours seem like you had a full day. I hope you had a great day off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a fun day! I must say, public parks are the best... if they are not sketchy.

    ReplyDelete