Saturday, June 15, 2013

We all scream for (how much we pay for) ice cream

I have a pretty serious sweet tooth. Unfortunately, in a city where a slice of cake is $6.00 and a frozen yogurt can easily be $5.00, the cost of dessert adds up. My sweet tooth is dangerous for my wallet, and dangerous for my waist line.

Alas, I have a solution. My friend PJ (check out his band Manner Effect) introduced me to a dessert that is cheap, easy to make, vegan, gluten-free, and tastes exactly like ice cream. Oh yeah, and it's good for you. The secret? Frozen bananas. 

Peel them, slice them, put them in the freezer, and then blend them in a food processor until it looks like ice cream. If you want, you can stop right there and eat it as is. I highly recommend adding peanut butter, or any other kind of nut butter; it tastes like peanut butter ice cream and it is fantastic! 

Since the ingredients are just bananas and nuts, you can eat it for breakfast and not have to feel guilty about it; when I told my friends at ballet that I had eaten ice cream for breakfast, they did not mask their shock! If you don't like nuts, you can add other ingredients too. I think it would be good to add fresh fruit as a garnish, or maybe you could try adding things like cinnamon or vanilla to the mixture as you're blending. I'd love to hear your comments if you've tried something out that you liked.

The best part is that bananas are cheap. Stop by a fruit cart and grab two bananas for 50 cents, and you've got yourself a big bowl of ice cream (depending on the size of the banana, one might even be sufficient). That's looking a lot better to me than that $5 cup of frozen yogurt...

4 comments:

  1. I like it! Something I've tried for dessert is those homemade popsicle pops. You put juice, fruits, coconut water, etc and let it freeze overnight and ta-da, super cheap popsicle in the flavors you want.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh I like that idea, I'll have to try it out. Thanks!

      Delete
  2. Just bought ice pop molds. Blended the bananas, put in a little bit of vanilla extract and chopped up fresh strawberries and placed them into the mold. The finished product tasted like vanilla ice cream with fresh strawberries. Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds fantastic! That's definitely a dessert you can have for breakfast ;)

      Delete