Sunday, June 9, 2013

A Night out at the Movies

Last year, when I saw Titanic in 3D, I cried. It's hard to say though, whether those tears were from the scene at the very end of the movie where Rose and Jack reunite (ok I'm sorry, I'm a girl, it gets me every time), or the fact that I paid $17 to see the movie.

Yikes.

Movies in the city are not cheap... at all. But I love going to the movies, especially on a summer night when you can't think of what to do. Luckily, there is a way to see movies for cheap when you're in the city for the summer. More than cheap, the movies are actually free. Parks across the city hold outdoor screenings of movies throughout the summer (see the schedule here). Last year I sat by the Hudson and saw an outdoor screening of Horrible Bosses. Granted I left to take a phone call halfway through the film and missed the second half (I swear every time I sit down to watch that movie something comes up and I miss the endI'm assuming they don't actually kill their bosses but I really couldn't tell you), but it was fun to be out there on the grass with everyone and their picnic blankets.

Plus you really can't beat a free movie.

These outdoor movies are also a great thing to do on a date. Take a look at the schedule to see if anything strikes your fancy. I know I'll be at Pier 63 on July 31st to see Moonrise Kingdom, which if you haven't seen yet, I highly recommend.

9 comments:

  1. I love outdoor movies too. Here in Raleigh, NC, the Art Museum has summer movies playing on a projection on the side of the building. You can enjoy a movie outside for $5 with friends and a picnic. I'm planning of seeing "Life of Pi" this Friday!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds awesome! Plus you don't have to choose between seeing a movie and enjoying good weather...

      Delete
  2. Yes! Thanks for reminding me to take advantage of free outdoor movies this summer. I love going to these with a few friends and a picnic. Not only is it cheaper than going to a theater, but it's much more fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally forgot about the movies in the park! So much fun. Thanks Brianna!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also, I was actually at that Horrible Bosses screening too! How weird!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No way! What a coincidence... hopefully we'll catch some more good ones this summer!

      Delete
  5. Such a cool idea, I have friends coming into town next weekend so I am going to have to look up outside movies that we could possibly go to! 17 dollars is a lot for a movie, glad you found a way to get around paying that every time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great idea! Not everyone gets to see outdoor movies nowadays, so I'm sure your friends will appreciate it.

      Delete