Sunday, June 30, 2013

Girl look at that body

As a dancer I am a big fan of cross-training. While dancing is a workout in and of itself, it's a lot of stop and start, making it hard at times to develop consistent cardio. Pounding the pavement by the Hudson or through Central Park are great ways to fit in a cardio session, but running can be hard on a dancer's ankles and knees. I am a big fan of the elliptical, because it is a machine that allows you to run impact-free.

What I am not a big fan of are the prices of NYC fitness centers. 

Going to the gym can be expensive. Some gyms in the city can be upwards of $80 per month, causing you to feel guilty about those months when you're just a little too busy to make that monthly fee worth it. My first year in New York I was a member of one of those $80 per month gyms, and I cancelled my membership four months later. On a student budget, I just couldn't make that kind of financial commitment work.

This summer I was determined to make it back to the gym once again. This time I found a place for $20 a month.

And the name of this gym, you ask?


Blink Fitness has everything that I need in a gym: cardio machines, weights, strengthening machines, and a designated stretching area. I have specific places that I like to go for my Pilates and yoga classes, so for me, the fact that they did not have classes was not a problem. 

There are two types of memberships at Blink:

1. The BLUE Membership 
This is the membership plan that I signed up for. It is $20 per month, with an annual maintenance fee of $40. The price of the start-up fee will vary; I joined at a time when the fee was $0, but I am told that they routinely have special offers in terms of this fee. According to the website today, the start-up fee is at $5. This membership allows access to all Blink locations, one free personal training session, and unlimited guest privileges. This membership does require a full-year commitment, so should you choose to cancel your membership early, you would be required to pay a fee. 

2. The GRAY Membership
This membership is $25 per month, with an annual maintenance fee of $30. The start-up fee according to the website today is $15 but again, this price will vary, and may be negotioable. This membership allows access to a single location, and one free personal training session. This membership monthly fee is five dollars more because it does not require a full-year commitment, so members can cancel at any time (giving the gym 45 days notice) without having to pay a cancellation fee. 

If you're looking for a simple gym that's easy to join and easy to use, I highly recommend Blink. It's an ideal gym for a Penny-Pincher, since the monthly fee is the same price as a restaurant dinner. Joining Blink means spending one less night a month eating out, which is a pretty healthy sacrifice if you ask me.

Don't forget your water bottle, lock, and towel. There are plenty of lockers throughout the gym to store your belongings, but the lockers are not monitored. Make sure to bring a lock, since the gym isn't responsible for anything stolen. There are showers in the locker rooms but towels are not provided, so make sure to bring your own if you're rushing off to a hot date... or the office (both equally thrilling I have no doubt). 



4 comments: